In the context of the current drug overdose epidemic, addiction toxicology is fast becoming a popular and high-demand field that applies the specialized pharmacological knowledge of medical toxicologists to clinical practice and research questions in addiction medicine. AACT’s Addiction Toxicology Section was created to promote and support the involvement of medical toxicologists in this new and exciting hybrid subspecialty.
Stephanie Weiss, M.D., Ph.D. (Chair)
About the Addiction Toxicology Section:
The Addiction Toxicology Section serves to unite members of the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology with an interest in the diagnosis, education, monitoring, research, treatment, and other aspects of substance use disorders. Potential members include physicians, pharmacists, nurses, trainees, poison center personnel, and others with an interest in the intersection between addiction medicine and medical or clinical toxicology. The Addiction Toxicology Section aims to foster increased communication between its members to advance the practice of this subspecialty through an open exchange of ideas and expertise. The hybrid nature of this field also lends well to the interest and involvement of section members in education, research, public policy, and regulatory aspects of addiction medicine.
- Organize web-based (CE) and live (NACCT) educational symposia on important topics that address the intersection between medical toxicology and addiction medicine
- Support educational and research opportunities for members to help advance the science of addiction toxicology
- Provide information for members who would like to become board certified in addiction medicine as well as medical toxicology
- Addiction Toxicology Case Conference: https://education.acmt.net/addiction-toxicology-case-conference
- American Board of Preventive Medicine Addiction Medicine Board Certification Requirements: https://www.theabpm.org/become-certified/subspecialties/addiction-medicine/
- American College of Academic Addiction Medicine (ACAAM): https://www.acaam.org/
- American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM): https://www.asam.org/