In a recent retrospective study of children presenting to five pediatric hospitals in Italy with a diagnosis of methemoglobinemia, what was the main culprit?
In a recent retrospective review by Raucci U et al. of 19 pediatric cases of acquired methemoglobinemia, 94% of the cases were caused by ingestion of contaminated vegetable broth. These children were given vegetable broth/soup that was prepared in advanced, stored in the refrigerator and thawed several times which is believed to cause the conversion of the nitrates contained in the vegetables to nitrites.
Raucci U et al. Acquired methemoglobinemia in children presenting to Italian pediatric emergency departments: A multicenter report. Clin Tox. Published online 13 April 2022. doi/full/10.1080/15563650.2022.2061986