Question- What is the so-called “organic dust toxic syndrome (ODTS)?
Answer-The cited reference notes “Organic dust toxic syndrome (ODTS) is a general term, covering illness caused by inhalation of either bacterial endotoxins or fungal toxins. It is characterized by a flu-like syndrome with prominent respiratory symptoms and fever, which occurs abruptly a few hours after a single, heavy exposure to dust containing organic material, including fungi (e.g., species of Aspergillus and Penicillium). The symptoms of ODTS are quite similar to those of hypersensitivity pneumonitis, but are not mediated by immune responses. Therefore, ODTS typically occurs immediately after the first heavy exposure to the causative agent; repeated exposures are not required. OTDS has been documented in workers handling material contaminated with fungal or gram-negative bacterial growth in both outdoor (agricultural) and indoor (demolition) settings.” (Storey E et al. Guidance for Clinicians on the Recognition and Management of Health Effects related to Mold Exposure and Moisture Indoors. https://health.uconn.edu/occupational-environmental/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2015/12/mold_guide.pdf; accessed April 2018)